September 5, 2010 § Leave a comment
Social Marketing is the discipline of marketing that seeks to influence social behaviors not to benefit the marketer, but to benefit the target audience and the general society.
Just imagine, the biggest TV event in the world (super bowl) attracted in 2010 106M+ viewers (that’s 20% of facebook users). And for those sceptics, the Super Bowl is world’s biggest event (a detail of the Top 45 network primetime events of all times available).
The primary focus of a Social Marketing Strategy, is the consumer – you need to learn what people want and need rather than trying to persuade them to buy what we happen to be producing. Socia Marketing talks to the consumer, not about the product. The planning process has to take this consumer focus into account by addressing the elements of the “marketing mix.”
It’s important to understand that to attend correctly a social marketing strategy you’re going to face with lots and lots of media that you absolutly can’t control. These media is controlled by a bunch of users that each has a set of needs and feelings that may react differently according to the product.
This is why the “p” for product under a social environment ranges from existing tangible physical products, to services or even ideas. Users have to be demonstrated that there is a genuine problem attacked by this product, so a product designed for a latent problem will certainly lead to social acceptance.
There are 3 other “P” on the marketing mix, but I will speak only about “Promotion” as it’s the other most relevant p to focus for a social marketing project. Promotion (from “to promote”) is essential to a campaign to go social. You need to understand which medias are ideal to connect with your audience.
Finally, I want to leave a word of advice to those starting at social marketing:
- Design product to satisfy important demands (test them) and then deploy.
- You CAN’T control the social “comments” about your product, so be prepare for everything.
- Accept the good with the bad and put a lot of effort (budget) into your project.
- Watch the following videos.
- What is Social Marketing? (social-marketing.com)
- Facebook Marketing in Only An Hour a Day? (socialmediaexaminer.com)
- Don’t Make This Mistake: Social Media in Advertising (samirbalwani.com)
- How Social Networks Influence Consumer Behavior (ecopreneurist.com)
Tagged: Advertising, Business, Facebook, Marketing, Marketing and Advertising, Marketing Strategy, MySpace, networking, New product development, Online Communities, product design, social advertising, Social media, Target audience, Twitter